SMDEP would like to introduce a phenomenal resource for students pursuing a career in medicine or dentistry. The Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) is a free six-week academic enrichment program for freshman and sophomore college students who identify with a group that is marginalized in society and underrepresented in the field of medicine, students who possess economic hardships, and who demonstrate an interest in issues affecting marginalized populations. SMDEP is funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the program is administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the American Dental Education Association (ADEA).
This six-week summer academic enrichment program engages scholars with many opportunities necessary to be successful as dental and medical students including:
- Professional coaching and communication skills development while attending seminars and gaining practical experience (dental labs or clinical rotations) weekly.
- Financial planning and career development workshops, and academic counseling
- Clinical shadowing in medicine and dentistry
- Simulated interviews with SMDEP tutor/members and/or admission deans in preparation for the formal application process of medical and or dental school.
- Discussion of ethical and professional behavior in healthcare;
SMDEP is hosted at 12 participating institutions (nine medical and dental sites and three medical only sites) across the country with 80 students at each site. We are now accepting applications and the deadline for submission is March 1, 2015. If you have any questions or would like additional promotional materials. Please contact me at email@example.com or 202.828.0633. For more information on SMDEP (Summer Medical Dental Education Program) please visit www.smdep.org and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.