Northeastern New York Affiliate of Susan G. Komen®
Status: Full-time Employee
Work Experience: Substantial executive and leadership experience as an employee or volunteer for a nonprofit organization or high-level management experience of a for-profit or government organization or commensurate experience required.
Education Level: Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
Job Description: The Executive Director (ED) provides key leadership internally and externally for the Affiliate. The ED reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with the Board of Directors to develop, evaluate and execute the Affiliate’s strategic direction and to implement the strategic goals and objectives. The ED plans for and provides leadership to ensure the effective overall management of the Affiliate, and works collaboratively with volunteers. The ED develops and administers operational standards, policies and procedures and serves as a non-voting member of all Affiliate Committees. She/he represents the Affiliate in the breast cancer community and in the community-at-large and serves as a resource to the Board and volunteers to accomplish the Affiliate’s fundraising, grant-making and education initiatives.
• Commitment to the mission of Susan G. Komen.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field, Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum three to five years leadership experience as an employee or volunteer for a nonprofit organization or high-level management experience of a for-profit organization or government organization or commensurate experience.
• Experience providing vision, motivating, leading and coaching volunteers. Good team-building skills.
• Proven success in partnering with a Board and maintaining Board focus on governance and fundraising and a strong marketing orientation with considerable experience in fundraising activities in the not-for-profit sector.
• Significant experience in strategic planning, organizational development, and management of financial, human, and material resources.
• Outstanding organizational and analytical skills and the ability to maintain a strategic focus while managing daily operations.
• Ability to implement policy, projects and programs, building consensus from different points of view.
• Strong understanding of volunteer management and demonstrated success in working effectively with leadership volunteers.
• Outstanding verbal and written communications, including public speaking; and computer skills.
• The ability to work effectively under pressure and adapt to change.
• The ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as needed to meet Affiliate needs.
1. Strategic Leadership
The Komen NENY Executive Director (ED) will lead the organization and manage its operations. Working with the board, the ED will guide the development of a comprehensive strategic plan ensuring ongoing stability of operations – moving towards expansion of programming and services. With a deep understanding of the current trends in breast health and importance of overcoming the cultural, social and financial conditions that preclude women from receiving life-saving breast healthcare and treatment, the ED will provide leadership and oversight in the planning, development and achievement of the organization’s goals and objectives.
2. Advancement and Fundraising
The new Executive Director will be an experienced fundraiser, bringing credibility with community leaders, government officials, the philanthropic community and potential donors. The ED will guide and direct the development of a sustainable, comprehensive fundraising framework that will enable the organization to successfully raise a growing amount of support from all categories of donors, while strengthening brand awareness and marketing. The ideal leader will be able to expand the organization’s base of support significantly through leadership of, and direct involvement in, the full range of development activities.
3. Advocacy and External Relations
The Executive Director will be serving as the organization’s leading voice and advocate. He or she will represent the organization through public speaking broadly delivering the message about the value of Komen and its programs will be a key to success.
4. Management and Administration
The successful candidate should be an experienced manager of people and organizations. This candidate will understand the importance of excellence in both program and business operations and fully incorporate both functions into all planning and operations. This person will deliver demonstrative results, a positive and collaborative work ethic, and sound financial operations.
5. Board Governance
The ED will oversee strategies that achieve the organization’s purposes and serve as a formal liaison between the board, volunteers and the greater community. The ED will keep the board fully informed about key organization issues as they arise. He or she will be responsible for building excellent communications and a positive working relationship with board members. Recruitment of new board leadership who reflects the community and its various constituencies and represents a broad spectrum of businesses, professionals and ages will be required.
Contact Information and Procedure: For consideration please submit an up-to-date electronic copy of your resume and a cover letter with salary expectations by May 12, 2014 to Affiliate Board President Francesca Durand at firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.komenneny.org Phone: 518-250-5379