We would like to invite you to apply to The CLIMB UP (Undergraduate Program) for Summer Research at the University at Buffalo for Summer 2014
What Is CLIMB UP?
The CLIMB (Collaborative Learning and Integrated Mentoring in the Biosciences) Program at UB has created CLIMB UP for Summer Research, an outstanding summer research experience for undergraduate students to excel in biomedical, STEM, and health science research and explore career opportunities. Now entering its 6th summer, the overall goal is to introduce you to research opportunities, to facilitate understanding of recent advances in the STEM disciplines, and to mentor you towards graduate and professional careers. As a CLIMB UP Fellow, you will be guided through novel and exciting research projects and mentored by faculty, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows through the summer and beyond. You will spend 10 weeks (May 27-August 2, 2014) in the laboratory of your research mentor, whom you will be paired with based on your interests. We will train you in various areas necessary to safely and efficiently perform your research and related activities.
What Areas of Research Does CLIMB UP Offer?
The CLIMB UP for Summer Research offers many diverse research opportunities in the STEM disciplines. Faculty are associated with a wide range of UB programs, encompassing virtually all aspects of scientific research.
Based on your interests and career goals, you can apply to work with mentors who fall under 3 categories:
Each of the links below contains detailed information on recent mentors in each group.
- ASPET-SURF mentors do research in the Departments of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Pharmaceutical Sciences. If you’re interested in those fields, this is a great place to learn more.
- CLIMB PRO mentors are located in the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. Most are MDs working in clinical settings. If you’re pre-med, or looking towards a career in medicine and/or research, we recommend you check out CLIMB PRO!
- iSEED mentors work in a wide variety of scientific disciplines at 7 different UB schools, including School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Dental Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Public Health and Health Professions, Engineering and Applied Sciences, and College of Arts and Sciences. If you’re interested in any of those fields, we highly recommend checking out iSEED.
Undecided!?! No problem! On your application, please let us know which mentors and/or areas of science are most interesting to you, and upon acceptance, we will work with you to select the best mentor for you.
What’s On the Agenda?
As a CLIMB UP Fellow, you will:
v Complete individualized lab rotations
v Learn and apply laboratory skills (1-week course)
v Gain exposure to a wide variety of STEM disciplines
v Discover graduate and professional school possibilities at UB
v Tour the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
v Present your research in a formal symposium setting
v Enjoy all that Summer in the Buffalo Niagara region offers
v Build lasting relationships with mentors and fellow students
Who Is Eligible for CLIMB UP?
CLIMB UP trains highly qualified undergraduate students interested in scientific research. Students receive a living stipend through SURF, CLIMB PRO, or iSEED (and other sources if available), and housing is provided for students who live outside of Western New York. Students enrolled in the program are entering their sophomore, junior, or senior years in undergraduate programs in colleges and universities nationwide. Students must be US citizens or Permanent Residents to be eligible for funding. Students from all backgrounds and with divergent needs are encouraged to apply, and will find opportunities through CLIMB UP that allow them to thrive and succeed.
How Do I Apply?
Applicants for The CLIMB UP for Summer Research are required to submit:
- ONLINE APPLICATION FORM (click here!)
- Personal statement describing interest in research and career goals (in online application, or you may also email this part to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please forward a copy of your most recent CV or resume to email@example.com.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from people who know you well (professor, advisor, supervisor, etc) should be e-mailed directly to the program at firstname.lastname@example.org. We strongly recommend that at least one of your letters be from someone who can comment specifically about your experience in research.
Please ask your referees to include in the subject line: your last name followed by a colon, and the words “CLIMB UP rec” (example, Smith:CLIMB UP rec)
- Please forward us a copy of your latest academic transcript, preferably by e-mail to email@example.com; unofficial copies are encouraged. Upon your acceptance into the program, we would request that you have your official transcript sent to us directly from your college or university.
If you have specific questions, please feel free to contact us!
For further information, please visit us online OR- “Like” CLIMB UP on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CLIMBUPatUB